Sunday 30 January 2011

New Zealand (1) - Auckland (1) - Volcanoes, Mistaken Identity and sun burn...

Well after a 13 hour flight from San Francisco to Auckland, we finally arrived 5am local time. A shuttle service then took us to the hostel; the unfriendly hostel woman dismissed our requests to check in early (I am not the staffs greatest fan at this hostel). Luckily we were able to leave our back packs at the hostel; so we went on the hunt for food. After a snack we decided we might as well go up the Sky Tower. We looked at Auckland for a few hours (looking at the 22 dormant volcanoes around Auckland; there is 50+ in total). Sam had a little nap up on the Sky Tower (that must be a first). At 1 we were able to check into the hostel. After a shower, we slept to 11. Got up, had some food, then went back to sleep.
Yesterday (Sunday) we went up Rangitoto; the youngest volcano in the Auckland bay area. We got a ferry over to the island and then hiked up to the crater. The island has barely been touched and is under strict control to stop unwanted species entering the island. It was pleasant to hike with very few people around; but I think me and Sam failed to assess how hot and strong the sun was; sun burn Monday was the result. After hiking approximately 12 miles we came to a secluded beach and collapsed there for a few hours. A few little kids with their dads on a little dingy from a yacht in the bay turned up. Me and Sam were laying there; nearly asleep when I heard two of the kids wonder past me and said "shhh, you will wake Santa". Santa, other than the gut, the similiarities end. After this chill out we then hiked another 7 miles back to the ferry. Easy to say that when we got in at 6pm; i collapsed into bed and slept. Probably combination of sun stroke, jet lag and hiking fatigue. Today we are doing some washing, admin and eating; hopefully I will see past 7 tonight....party on. We are picking up the Kiwi Experience coach tomorrow and heading to Mercury Bay. I hope to update you all soon...

P
x

6 comments:

Gee said...

Love the pics bruv, you late night party animal!

jamie said...

glad for the update, the blogs great

Mummy Moore said...

What a laugh, Santa!!! You've just made knackered just reading what you've been doing. Sam said it was pretty hard going on Rangitoto, that's an understatement. Well done you guys,I'm impressed. Have a good day to day (your Tuesday) speak soon.

holly said...

hi santa i've been very good this year.what a laUGH.missing u guys loads.it sounds amazing.why couldn't u of taken me.(not fair)love u bye

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone I agree with gee photos great look forward to seeing some more.
The reason I did not get the sound the sound on my skype as I did not turn the speakers on manually. Try tonight
Dad xxx

Cheap Flights to Auckland said...

I like Dancing of Indian girls more than my parents’ prayers . Because they dance with love and passion . But my parents just say their prayers because they got used to it .